Tangerine (1652, 1706) (OT: APS screwing up)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 23 22:53:24 UTC 2003

   "Tangerine--"...great song.
   OED has "Tangerine" from 1710, meaning a person from Tangiers.  "Tangerine" (a tangerine/tangereen orange, from Tangiers) is from 1841 and 1842, and that puts me in American Periodical Series territory.  This is from EEBO and Literature Online:

Author: Cervantes Saavedra, Miguel de, 1547-1616.
Title: The history of the valorous and vvitty-knight-errant, Don-Quixote, of the Mancha tr. out of the Spanish.
Publication date: 1652.
THE Delightfull Historie of the most Wittie Knight DON-QUIXOTE of the Mancha. > CHAP. XIII.
• ... e away to Christian Countries. And yet hee knew how to facilitate that inconvenience, by inducing a Tangerine Moor to become his Partner of the Barke and the gains that should hee gotten by the commod ...

Farquhar, George, 1677?-1707 [Author Record]
The recruiting officer (1706) 289Kb
THE Recruiting Officer. A COMEDY. As it is Acted at the THEATRE ROYAL IN DRURY-LANE, By Her MAJESTY's Servants. 287Kb
Found 1 hit:
Main text 275Kb
ACT III. 58Kb
Scene 27Kb
...me that Vessel from that  Tangerine. She's well rigg'd, ...

OT: APS SCREWING UP
   I have a huge amount of stuff to query through the American Periodical Series online, but it's screwing up today.  "Mission olive" and "mission fig" and "mission grape" didn't turn up anything.  So I tried just "olives," and the first article retrieved was from 1870.  So I tried "Steve Brodie," and there are no hits.  But I know there are hits!
   Maybe I'll try another computer as I search for the mysterious "tangerine."