Mission Olive (1881)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 23 23:58:21 UTC 2003

   The American Periodical Series seems to be working again.  The format's just changed and I have to make different clicks.
   This is from "The Olive Tree" in CALIFORNIAN, March 1881:

Pg. 260:  There being in California already abundance of the "Mission" olive, two methods of rapidly rearing the olive grove present themselves.

Pg. 263:  The best olive for pickling is the Picholine (_Oleo oblonga_).

Pg. 265:
   INTRODUCTION OF THE OLIVE TO CALIFORNIA.
   "I have found it very difficult to obtain the history of the introduction of the Mission olive to California.  It was first brought to America by Antonia Ribora, who took it from Spain to Lima in 1560.  Frezier speaks of the olive being used for oil in Chile as early as 1700.  Frank A. Kimball, of San Diego, in an article on the olive in the Southern California _Horticulturist_, states that the first olive trees were planted by the Spanish missionaries at that (Pg. 266--ed.) place in 1769."

Pg. 266:
   THE MISSION OLIVE.
   "H. N. Bolander, who had charge of the botany of the geological survey of the State, informs me that in all of the missions there was but one variety of the olive, one of pear, and one of grape."