..Phrases of War..

GSCole gscole at ARK.SHIP.EDU
Tue Mar 25 16:34:35 UTC 2003

Merely a note:  The Wall Street Journal., of 24 March 2003, on pp. B1,
B3, has an article that is titled "Name That Op: How U.S. Coins Phrases
of War", by Rebecca Blumenstein and Matthew Rose.

The focus of the article is on phrases such as:  Operation Iraqi
Freedom; Enduring Freedom; Just Cause; and the usage of those phrases by
the military, news organizations, and others.

As I read the article, I wondered about the extent to which other
countries are concerned with the naming of military actions.

George Cole
Shippensburg University