Hoosier, asshole, etc.

Herbert Stahlke hstahlke at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Tue Mar 25 22:35:56 UTC 2003

Bev,

Retroflexed /s/ in storm, stream, university, snow, straight, and district
all fit what I've been hearing.  However, an /S/-like consonant in
[laeStjir] could be palatalization, and if it is, it should sound different.
I have a grad student in my phonetics class who comes from California via
all over who regularly retroflexes initial /s/ in any onset or coda cluster
and sometimes before a V.  I also mentioned Powell's pronunciation to a
colleague of mine (not a linguist) who has the same pronunciation he has.
She mentioned that she comes from a town in CT about 20 miles (can you go
that far in CT) from Powell's hometown.  I'll be interested to hear what
your grad student comes up with.  This is certainly ripe for study.  If you
have the facilities, some palatogram evidence might be interesting.  I
suspect some of the [s,] I hear from Nashville types is not native but
influenced by social context in the country music industry, so there's a
possible social layer in this as well.  I haven't paid a lot of attention to
post-/r/ [s,], but of course that assimilation wouldn't be surprising.
Swedish, BTW, does that generally.  "Lars" is [lar,s,].

Herb