Embedded (1996), Unilateral (2001)--term?

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Mar 27 11:07:08 UTC 2003

Is "unilateral" the term used for journalists not embedded, those
covering the war on their own, not attached to a military unit? I
thought I heard a different term for them on one of the newscasts
last week, but right now, I can't  remember it. Any knowledge of
this, or is unilateral the term?

--- Dave Wilton <dave at WILTON.NET> wrote:
> These terms pop up somewhat earlier than one might expect:
>
> "...it is entirely up to the units, unit commanders, individual
> military
> organizations, whether they accept media under what we have started
> to call
> embedded media terms. That is to say, in these situations, the
> media
> actually spends some period of time with the unit." Captain Michael
> Doubleday, USN, Deputy Asst. Sec. Def. (Public Affairs), DoD News
> Briefing,
> Thursday, 9 May 1996,
> http://www.defenselink.mil/news/May1996/t050996_tbrfg050.html
>
> "The question is, if we're going to do any unilateral coverage
> we're going
> to need some sort of guidance as to what kind of an operation we're
> looking
> at, where the likely places might be, what's going, etc." Unnamed
> questioner, Meeting with Media Pool Bureau Chiefs, 28 Sep 2001.
> http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Sep2001/t09302001_t0928asd.html

=====
Margaret G. Lee, Ph.D.
Associate Professor - English and Linguistics
 & University Editor
Department of English
Hampton University, Hampton, VA 23668
(757)727-5769(voice);(757)727-5084(fax);(757)851-5773(home)
e-mail: margaret.lee at hamptonu.edu   or   mlee303 at yahoo.com