Reuleaux polygon

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Thu May 1 19:27:20 UTC 2003

In a message dated 5/1/2003 2:25:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mam at THEWORLD.COM writes:

> a collection of stories about Nicholas van
> Rijn and/or the Polesotechnic League... whose name, by the way, comes
> from what?

"Nicholas van Rijn" was perhaps inspired by the name "Rembrandt van Rijn"?
More likely Anderson picked the name at random out of a phone book.

I've never seen a derivation of "Polesotechnic".  If it is from Greek, then
perhaps "polis + tekton" ("city-state builder").  I doubt Poul Anderson was
punning on his first name.

            - Jim Landau