"Sell in May and go away" (1963)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu May 1 23:41:10 UTC 2003

   A Wall Street proverb, seen in several papers this May 1st.  I've posted on it before.  I just checked it against the full text WALL STREET JOURNAL and NEW YORK TIMES and WASHINGTON POST, and it's surprisingly late there.
   ProQuest shows that the phrase is used in publications such as the ECONOMIST, and I found it earlier in the full text TIMES OF LONDON.
   Fred Shapiro should include this classic proverb in his book.
(OT:  I'm not impressed by Evans Digital.)

 Investors Awaiting More Signs Of Growth Spate Of New Unit Trusts (Business and Finance) By Our City Editor.
      The Times Wednesday, May 29, 1963; pg. 15; Issue 55713; col A
("The steam seems to have gone out of the spring rally and the traditionalists who still believe in the old adage 'sell in May and go away' looked like being right again.")

  Analysts See London Stock Slump Persisting As Inflation and Interest-Rate Worries Surface; By ROBERT L. MULLER; Wall Street Journal (1889-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Jun 1, 1977; pg. 37, 1 pgs
("It may only be a classic case of 'sell in May and go away' for the summer, and certainly there aren't any signs of panic.")