German Words 1939-45

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Fri May 2 18:16:09 UTC 2003

>>Is there any evidence for the backronymic etymology?
>Seems unlikely, given the range of military acronyms related to it,
>e.g. "SNAFU", which don't lend themselves to German etymologies.
>Jesse has a bunch of these in his _The F Word_.

I doubt that either FUBAR or SNAFU is a true "honest" acronym in origin.
That is, I doubt either was formed from an independent pre-existing
conventional expression. Rather I think either (1) the expansions were
designed to match the acronyms (which must therefore have had origins of
their own which do not relate to the acronyms) [bacronyms] or (2) (I
believe most likely in these cases) the expansions were invented
simultaneously with the acronyms and each expression tailored to provided a
satisfying acronym (but not necessarily a fully predetermined one)
["borderline bacronyms" one might say].

FUBAR probably reflects the pre-WWII "foo" seen in some comic strips (and
probably in more recent computer jargon) and/or "Phooey!" or so. Possibly
the "-BAR" matches the German ending, but I'm not convinced that
"furchtbar" was well enough known in English ... possibly "wunderbar"
contributed this part. Note that the expansion is given as "f*cked up
beyond all recognition/repair/etc." while there is no FUBR "fubber" meaning
the same without the "all"; the "all" doesn't really need to be there, it's
just to make a nice acronym (and *perhaps* also to make one which sounds
German-adjectival?). Also compare "FUBIS" = "f*ck you, buddy, I'm short"
(or "... I'm shipping out"), "FUGMO" ("... got my orders"), etc. ... but
note the lack of the hundreds of other just-as-good just-as-likely
expressions which are lacking because they didn't make ideal acronyms.
"Foo" and "fug" make satisfying sounds 'of dismissal' like "Pfui!"/"F*ck
it!" ("fub" isn't too bad by itself ... and indeed there is "FUBB").

SNAFU is too much like "snag" or "snarl", so I believe it too is bacronymic
or borderline-bacronymic. I doubt solid documentation exists to confirm or
refute my notions.

-- Doug Wilson