Cleveland "Indians"

Mon May 5 15:56:15 UTC 2003

Back in January I posted some material from a new biography of Lou Sockalexis, the Penobscot Indian who played for the then Cleveland Spiders (as I recall) and is said to have inspired local sports writers to call the team the Indians.

There is yet another new biography of Sockalexis, Brian McDonald, "Indian Summer. . . .", Rodale, 2003, but it has neither an index nor a table of contents, so I leave to others to find whether the author has any thoughts on the name.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern Univ. Pr., 1998.