Icicle Pickle (1941); Indian Potato (1650, 1688)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon May 5 20:02:56 UTC 2003

ICICLE PICKLE

   DARE has 1951.

My Home Defense Program; Laying Plans; Written for The Christian Science Monitor, M.G.B.; Christian Science Monitor (1908-Current file), Boston, Mass.; May 20, 1941; pg. 7, 1 pgs
("A very good sandwich filling is possible, chile sauce and chopped pickle, iceberg and icicle pickles, dill and sour pickles.")

INDIAN POTATO

   DARE has 1788 for "Indian potato," a groundnut.  I don't necessarily know what these "Indian potatoes" from EARLY ENGLISH BOOKS ONLINE are all about, but a peanut expert might.

Author: Williams, Edward, fl. 1650.
Title: Virginia, more especially the south part thereof, richly and truly valued viz. the fertile Carolana, and no lesse excellent Isle of Roanoak, of latitude from 31 to 37 degr. relating the meanes of raysing infinite profits to the adventurers and planters.
Publication date: 1650.
The Discovery of Silke-wormes; with their benefit, and implanting of Mulberry trees. > Te best soyle and order or planting the Mulberry.
• ...  the Vine; but (which I conceive the most convenient for Virginia is) the setting of the In|dian Potato hath the most inestimable benefit; the Potato having such a happy multiplica  ...

Author: Holme, Randle, 1627-1699.
Title: The academy of armory, or, A storehouse of armory and blazon containing the several variety of created beings, and how born in coats of arms, both foreign and domestick : with the instruments used in all trades and sciences, together with their terms of art : also the etymologies, definitions, and historical observations on the same, explicated and explained according to our modern language : very usefel [sic] for all gentlemen, scholars, divines, and all such as desire any knowledge in arts and sciences / by Randle Holme ...
Publication date: 1688.
THE SECOND BOOK OF THE ACADEMY OF ARMORY and BLAZON. > CHAP. VI. > An Alphabet of Trees, Flowers, Plants and Herbs. The first Figure shewing the Chapter, and the second the Number of the Chapter, where they are Treated on. > I.
• ...  82Iron wort, 5 84Indian leaf, 6 2Indian Potato, 6 4Iews Mallw, 6 6  ...