ameliorated "Shut up!" in WSJ

Mai Kuha mkuha at BSU.EDU
Tue May 6 20:52:05 UTC 2003

Back in January, several students in all of my 200-level classes reported
having felt hurt, or at least confused, when they first came to Ball State
and their very first attempts at social interaction met with "shut up!",
which they interpreted literally. It blew my mind that anyone could be
unaware of the "unrude use", but it seems we're getting more and more
academically impressive freshmen, so it's possible they don't watch TV...
Anyway, those comments suggest the usage isn't so widespread as to be known
to everyone.

-Mai