list contents

Towse self at TOWSE.COM
Thu May 8 01:35:30 UTC 2003

Dave Wilton wrote:

> > If people would be interested in having a mailing list for posting
> > antedatings I could probably get one setup without much difficulty,
> > without having to resort to relying on a commercial service
> > like Yahoo.
>
> The value of messages with antedatings is in the archive. Unless the
> alternative listserv has a reliable, searchable, and permanent archive (like
> ADS-L does), emails of antedatings are next to useless. The key is that they
> are available when one happens to be looking for the origin of a particular
> term. Yahoo and most other listservs do not provide this; the messages are
> ephemeral.
>
> And frankly, I don't see the problem. Barry's posts are easy enough to
> ignore and any listserv will have posts that certain members couldn't care
> less about. If a listserv matched your interests 100%, then you would be the
> only one posting to it. There is such a thing as being too specialized.
> Celebrate diversity.

I may not read all of Barry's posts, but, not trusting online
archives, I do the belt and suspenders thing and have a folder
under my ADS-L mail folder labeled ADS-L-BarryPopik in which
reside a good portion of his posts.

FWIW.

Sal
--
Ye olde swarm of links: 3K+ useful links for writers, researchers
and the terminally curious