FW: Guys for Girls Redux

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Tue May 13 17:52:57 UTC 2003

I just told my class this anecdote and asked if 'dude' struck them as being odd.  No one was bothered and they all said it was some interjection.  So, dude has expanded its meaning for them.
Fritz

>>> laurence.horn at YALE.EDU 05/13/03 09:05AM >>>
At 11:38 AM -0400 5/13/03, Frank Abate wrote:
>RE what Larry H says (cc'd below) in reply to Katy M:
>
>I think this _dude_ is a sort of super-vocative, and does not refer to any
>person specifically, but is simply a marker of surprise.

Sort of like
"Boy/Man, are you pregnant!"?