FW: Guys for Girls Redux

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Tue May 13 23:21:53 UTC 2003

Something's missing from this discussion so far, though.  The fact that
"Dude!" is attested elsewhere as an all-purpose interjection doesn't
preclude that the usage cited in the original post was actually an
expansion of the vocative use by deletion of the +male feature.  It seems
to me one would need a recording to be sure, because the intonation pattern
would indicate fairly clearly which was meant.

Try saying, "Dude!  You're pregnant!" (= Wow!  Are you ever pregnant!).
Then try: "Dude, you're pregnant!" (= You, lady, are pregnant.)
See if your intonation pattern doesn't distinguish the two.

Peter Mc.

--On Tuesday, May 13, 2003 10:52 AM -0700 FRITZ JUENGLING