"Mince pies" in Cockney rhyming slang--possible insight from Barry Popik's message

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Wed May 14 01:41:25 UTC 2003

     Barry's May 12 message on "mince pie" caught my attention because
I have long wondered if there's any rationale behind Cockney "mince
pies" (= eyes) besides the rhyme.  Note "apples and pears" (=
stairs), known to derive both from the rhyme and from the graded
arrangement of fruit on the fruit stands.

     Note too "pig's ear" (= beer), which I've suggested might derive
from a 19th century poem. See my article "_Pig's ear 'beer' in
Cockney rhyming slang:
possible relevance of a 19th century poem," in: _Studies in Slang, Part VI_,
  by Gerald Leonard Cohen and Barry A. Popik, Frankfurt am Main: Peter
Lang, 1999, pp.90-92. The key lines of the poem for the subject at
hand are:
        "The greased pig of sophistry catch by the ear
        And drink to his health in a bumper of beer."
This reference to a pig's ear very close to mention of beer might
have been the inspiration for coining "pig's ear" (beer).  This is,
of course, only a hypothesis.

     Now to "mince pies," particularly the lyrics of the song Barry
cites at the end of his message:

>_Can she make mince pies, Billy boy, Billy boy?_
>_Can she make mince pies, Billy boy?_
>_Yes; she can make mince pies_
>_Quick's a cat can wink its eyes;_
>_But she's a young thing and cannot leave her mother._

   Note the mention of eyes in these lyrics about mince pies.  Maybe
this mention of eyes was the inspiration for coining "mince pies"
(eyes) in Cockney rhyming slang.  Again, this is only a hypothesis,
and yet perhaps researchers should consider poetry a possible source
of inspiration for Cockneys who coin new terms.

Gerald Cohen