PSAT Glitch

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Fri May 16 00:58:46 UTC 2003

transmitted by mark mandel (to whom i am *not* responding):
 #I don't see the relevance of Zwicky's "suppressing the Zs," and,

go read the article, which is quite explicit on this point (though
flawed on some others).

 #while the idea of the "anaphoric-island effect" is interesting, I'm
 #not sure if as he cites, "[A] serious flautist practices on it
 #everyday," as an example of an acceptable sentence since it is even
 #more problematic than the original example (The pronoun, "it," can
 #refer only to what a flautist would likely practice on, the flute,
 #which is not explicitly stated in the sentence.)

i'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here, but the flautist
sentence was preceding by a "*", which means i judged it as
UNGRAMMATICAL.  i'll assume you just missed that.

arnold (zwicky at csli.stanford.edu)