"Fit to be tied" (1807?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat May 17 18:08:32 UTC 2003

   DARE gave 1950 and didn't cite OED, so I didn't look.  LITERATURE ONLINE has that 1894 citation and this one (in a note, but from the author?):

Note
Ireland, W. H. (William Henry), 1777-1835: [from Stultifera Navis (1807)]
Volume
Ireland, W. H. (William Henry), 1777-1835:
STULTIFERA NAVIS. [from Stultifera Navis (1807)]
SECTION LV. OF MARTIAL FOOLS.
A cuspide corona, should be the soldier's motto: for, even suppose that he is slain, he has acquired the wreath of glory in the grave; that is to say, according to the world's opinion: though, for my own part, I am perfectly well satisfied with the glory of living as long as I can. Iniquissimam pacem justissimo bello antefero. for I never think of fighting, but it reminds me of the story of the late facetious Captain Grose, of antiquarian memory, which ran as follows: "Old Lord Ligonier took the charge of his nephew, when commanding the British forces abroad, and at the commencement of the first engagement he was greatly exasperated at the timidity which was evinced by his elève, who excused himself, on the score of the novelty of the dreadful scene; as the slaughter increased, the young man's fear became less conspicuous, until a musket ball not only levelled to the earth a soldier who was at his side, but splashed his coat with the brains of the deceased. On witnessing this, a visible emotion was depictured on the features of the young soldier, which was noticed by the enraged uncle, who, with a bitter imprecation, vowed that his nephew was a poltron, and only fit to be tied to his mother's apron string. "I beg your pardon, uncle," replied the nephew, archly, and looking at his bedaubed regimental coat, "I am not afraid, but am only astonished to find that a skull here should be possessed of any brains at all.";

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES)
Century Illustrated Magazine (1881-1906), New York; Jul 1899; Vol. VOL. LVIII., Iss. 0
  THE PIANOS OF KILLYMARD.; BY SEUMAS MACMANUS ("MAC"), Author of "'T was in Dhroll Donegal," "Through the Turf Smoke," etc.; pg. 472, 4 pgs

Southern Agriculturist, Horticulturist, and Register of Rural Affairs (1841-1846), Charleston; Jun 1842; Vol. 2, Iss. 6
  HORTICULTURE.; THE KITCHEN GARDEN.; pg. 311, 11 pgs