Supermodel (1971)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat May 17 20:18:58 UTC 2003

(WORLDCAT)
No lifeguard on duty :
the accidental life of the world's first supermodel /
Author: Dickinson, Janice, 1955-
Publication: New York : ReganBooks, 2002
Document: English : Book
Libraries Worldwide: 365

   I stated last year that Janice Dickinson wasn't the world's first "supermodel," nor did she coin "supermodel."  The publishers fibbed to sell books.  Unlike Dickinson's coinage claim, my scholarship wasn't published anywhere.
   VOGUE's June 1972 "super model" description of Naomi Sims popularized the term, but here's earlier:

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)(A search for "supermodel" or "super model" and "modeling" to avoid many bad hits.  The citation is in the fifth of the six pages, and the column break reads "super-model"--ed.)
  Beauty contest winners-fairytale queens or stunning pieces of horseflesh; Lang is a free-lance writer.; By Tony Lang; The Washington Post, Times Herald (1959-1973), Washington, D.C.; Jan 17, 1971; pg. 204, 6 pgs
("And timelessly glamorous supermodel Wilhelmina, another judge, took pains to warn Nikki away from making modeling her whole life.")