Mario Pei & Spud

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Sun May 18 02:23:48 UTC 2003

I'm trying to track down the accuracy of a quote from Mario Pei's 1949 "The
Story of Language." If anyone has a copy of that book, I'd appreciate a
verification. I have a copy of the 1965 revised edition and the wording is
slightly different.

Alleged 1949 quote (in Chapter 4):

"The potato, for its part, was in disrepute some centuries ago. Some
Englishmen who did not fancy potatoes formed a Society for the Prevention of
Unwholesome Diet. The initials of the main words in this title gave rise to
spud."

Actual 1965 quote (p. 223):

"The potato, for its part, was in disrepute some centuries ago. Some
Englishmen who did not fancy potatoes formed a 'Society for the Prevention
of Unwholesome Diet,' but the people of England kept right on eating
potatoes."

The last sentence in the 1949 quote doesn't sound like the rest. I believe
the closing quotation mark should come after "Diet," but I can't tell if
it's a misquote or if Pei revised it for the later edition. (I know the
etymology is wrong; I am interested in the accuracy of the quote.)