"Oh, tartar sauce!"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun May 18 21:22:42 UTC 2003

"OH, TARTAR SAUCE!"

   During the commercial breaks to the New Jersey Nets-Detroit Pistons
game...I turned to the next channel...and it was Nickelodeon...and the show
was...uh...SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS...
   (Yeesh, this is like telling people that you eat Sugar Frosted Flakes
because they're GRRRRRREAT!)
   OK, I was watching a show on Nickelodeon called SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS.
Spongebob's catchphrase, used several times, is:

   "Tartar sauce!"

   Tartar sauce?  When you're in a jam, you wouldn't say "Ketchup!"?  Is this
some scheme by multinational corporations to get kids to eat tartar sauce,
and then buy tartar-control toothpaste?
   Maybe Fred Shapiro could use this tv phrase and put it next to "Holy
Guacamole!"  GOOGLE GROUPS shows hits from only 2002:

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
From: <A HREF="http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=author:basura%40thinds.com+">JH</A> (<A HREF="mailto:basura%40thinds.com">basura at thinds.com</A>)
Subject: Re: Kids Programming
Newsgroups: <A HREF="http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=alt.newlywed">alt.newlywed</A>
Date: 2002-10-08 07:11:11 PST

Sherry wrote:> aMAZon wrote:>> > OMG!  This is the *one* kids' show that
drives me crazy.> > I don't know what sets me off about it.  It may be
Spongebob's giggle.> > It may be the theme song where the "Captain's" voice
gets gravelly> > at the very end.>> I could not agree more. My oldest (21)
loves Spongebob Squarepants. I> absolutely cannot handle it. If I jokingly
complain about her taste in> programing she just tells me I can go on home
and watch CSPAN.>>Spongebob is so sweet, kind and thinks so positively of all
his friends!How can you hate him?  He goes through life seeing the joy of it
all in sucha naive way.  I just love his facial expressions, his songs.  Mine
is aSpongebob family and as such, Spongebobisms have crept into our
familylexicon. "Stepping on the beach, ba rum papa!"  "Oh, tartar sauce!"   I
cando a pretty mean rendition of Patrick's laugh.And there is no way this
family can order a take out pizza and not sing,"Krusty Crab pizza is the
pizza for you and me!" with all the finerenditions Spongebob does it.

---------------------
OT:  WWW.FRESHDIRECT.COM

   I thought these Kosmo.com delivery services (Haagen-Dazs to your door)
were dead.  Manhattan--you can't walk one block to get this stuff?  How is a
delivery firm going to charge the same price and make money?
   I've been seeing Fresh.Direct orders to my building and Fresh Direct
trucks all over town.  Must be the $50 coupon of free food.
   Go to www.freshdirect.com.  I looked for some food words that I haven't
done, but nothing interested me.  Mention of these services will probably be
made in the OXFORD ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD AND DRINK, and it's
interesting if Fresh Direct makes it past the first few years.