To Mr A.M.

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon May 19 20:37:57 UTC 2003

>#"...and was found to be a good candidate for endographic repair of this
>#lesion."
>#
>#This doc is trying to describe the use of an "endograft" for doing a
>#vein grafting procedure.  Interesting.  Wrong, but interesting!
>
>Hmm. In some dialects, including for many Afro-American speakers, final
>clusters simplify, so that "-graft" and "-graph" sound identical. I
>can't guess if that was happening here.

I've heard this sort of thing myself. Google gives ten responses to
"endographic" of which at least five are exactly this usage ... from
respectable sources including the Mayo Clinic.

I don't think it's dialect, but it may be 'jargon' passed around among the
MD's and others. It would seem that a scientific-sounding adjective
corresponding to "[endo]graft" was desired ... and I guess I'm not the only
person who can't think of a good one offhand.

-- Doug Wilson