the new taboo

Brenda Lester alphatwin2002 at YAHOO.COM
Wed May 21 17:20:59 UTC 2003

Teenagers here in Macon, Georgia, are using the word "gay" for anything that is unacceptable or inferior. They insist that the expression has nothing to do with homophobia.

Gareth Branwyn <garethb2 at EARTHLINK.NET> wrote:
Off topic, but it reminded me:

I have a college student helping me out on a technical book project
(about robots). When a friend hooked us up, he said: "Watch out, he
says 'like' like every other word." But apparently, the kid's moved on
in his teen slang tourette's. Now it's all "crazy." He's in the other
room right now working on a robot control circuit. Every time he gets a
hook-up right, he exclaims: "That's crazy!" (to himself).

Me: "Would you like some lunch? These Uncle Ben's rice bowls are really
good."
Him: "That's crazy!"
Ah...no. Convenient? Yes. Delicious? Yes Overpriced? That too. But
saying "crazy" in this context seems...well CRAZY.

Gareth