PSAT, SAT, etc .

Page Stephens hpst at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed May 21 23:08:04 UTC 2003

Page Stephens

----- Original Message -----
From: "Baker, John" <JMB at STRADLEY.COM>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 11:13 AM
Subject: Re: PSAT, SAT, etc .

header -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Baker, John" <JMB at STRADLEY.COM>
> Subject:      Re: PSAT, SAT, etc .
-----

>         I think you're making a leap here, based on the evidence you cite.
The question here was a problematic one that ETS now says should not have
made it through the screening process, the first time in years that they
have admitted this.  One problematic question, out of more than a thousand,
doesn't tell us much.  In addition, ETS's correct answer was E (no error),
the very answer that a student who had not been exposed to a misleading
grammar text would have given.

>         Note that I'm not taking a position at this time on whether such
tests are invidious.  I just don't think that the discussion over this one
question gives any evidence for that position.