and still they come (was Re: PSAT Glitch)

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Fri May 23 14:36:42 UTC 2003

 arnold zwicky writes:
>still, i understand this is boring almost everyone by now, so i won't
>do it any more.  after this.  just one more hit, ok?  (now to teach
>myself not to look for examples in everything i read.)
On the contrary, you have elevated what started out as a rather humdrum
thread, beating what looked like a dead horse, into high entertainment!
I am left wondering what position my father, a professor of English at the
U. of Neb. for forty years, took in his own composition manual, published
in 1910. (I don't know of any extant copies.) His older self acknowledged
that his younger self had been a bit of a prig, so it wouldn't surprise me
if he had been with the pro- lot on this.
A. Murie