Antedating of "Yalie"

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Wed Nov 5 14:15:24 UTC 2003

In a message dated > Tue, 4 Nov 2003 08:48:43 -0500, Dave Wilton <
> dave at WILTON.NET> writes:
>
> Maybe I overstated the frequency of the mascot usage in reference to
> ordinary students, but it is a common occurrence at many schools. To give an
> example from an old episode of the "West Wing" which I saw in rerun recently
> (paraphrased from memory):
>
> SS Agent: I went to the University of Virginia.
> Pres. Bartlet: So, you're a Mountaineer.
> SS Agent: No, Sir. I'm a Cavalier. Mountaineers are from West Virginia.

A student from the University of Virginia is a "Wahoo".  See for example <A HREF="http://www.qsl.net/wa4yha/wahoo1.html">
http://www.qsl.net/wa4yha/wahoo1.html</A>.

                  - James A. Landau
                    Michigan State University, class of 1969, which may make
me a
                    Spartan but does not make me laconic