question on pronunciation in Jespersen

Herbert Stahlke hstahlke at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Wed Nov 5 22:58:10 UTC 2003

Thanks.  I hadn't thought of [I] for [i], which, of course, occurs in the US
South as well.  But then that suggests that Jespersen had [I] in the
post-sibilant plural suffix, which does seem strange, unless he was treating
[I], barred-i, and maybe even schwa as the same thing.  As he demonstrates
elsewhere in A Modern English Grammar, he was a pretty good phonetician, and
treating those as the same does seem odd.  I could see combining the first
two or the last two phonologically, but it would be unlike him to combine
all three.

Herb

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Of Dale Coye
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 3:56 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: question on pronunciation in Jespersen

Yes, in conservative RP 'candid" and "candied" were reported as  the same by
someone in authority, I'm trying to remember who--Daniel Jones?  I remember
as
an undergraduate being confused by Claude Wise (who I believe was from
Louisiana) who stated in one of his books that the two vowels of "city" were
the
same (capital eye).

Dale Coye
The College of NJ