McJobs in M-W Collegiate Contested by McDonald's

degustibus degustibus14 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Nov 9 20:17:52 UTC 2003

--- Scott Sadowsky <lists at SPANISHTRANSLATOR.ORG>
wrote:

> On 11/8/2003 08:41 PM, Grant Barrett wrote the
> following:
>
> >Burger-maker McDonald's complains that "McJobs" is
> included in
> >Merriam-Webster's Collegiate.
> >
> >[From the article:]
> >McJOBS is trademarked and we've notified them that
> legally that's an issue
> >for us as well," Riker said.
>
> Wanna really make them regret making a fuss out of
> this?  Respect their
> trademark:
>
>          McJob (mek jäb') n. a low-paying job that
>          requires little skill and provides little
> opportunity
>          for advancement.  A registered trademark of
>          McDonald's, Inc.
>
> Cheers,
> Scott

No, add  "Popularised by Douglas Coupland's book
Generation X" & "McDonald's has used the federal
trademark "McJobs" for the past 20 years to describe
our important job placement program for persons with
physical and mental challenges."

More McDonald's Trademarked McTerms:
 McDouble, McDrive, McExpress, McFamily, McFlurry,
McFranchise, McGriddles, McGrilled Chicken, McHappy
Day, McHero, McJobs, McKids, McKids Logo, McKroket,
McMaco, McMemories, McMenu, McMusic, McNifica,
McNuggets, McNuggets Kip, McOz, McPlane, McPollo,
McPrep, McRecycle USA, McRib, McRoyal, McScholar,
McScholar of the Year, McSwing, McWorld
http://www.mcdonalds.com/legal/

WordSpy carries McMansion & McTheatre.

Others sighted:  McPoison McGreasyEmptyCalories
McEmpire McDictionary
See mcspotlight.org for McLibel news (reported by he
McInformation Network).

McLit, McPolitics, McPoetry, anyone can play