Minstrel's Dialect

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Tue Nov 11 20:36:52 UTC 2003

This, of course, is what I meant when I referred to the cultural divide; if
whites didn't talk to blacks, they'd assume a spelling pronunciation.  But
I suspect the origin of 'yeller' and 'feller' and 'holler' is more
complicated than assuming a British spelling for r-lessness (as in the
ubiquitous 'er' in British fiction for what we would spell as 'uh' or
'eh').  This would imply that Appalachian English speakers, many of whom
have the -er pron., have the underlying form "yella" (a variant in other
areas) and then add -er to approximate what they think is the "proper"
spelling, regardless of whether or not they ever see "yellow" in
print?  I'll defer to a dialectologist of early regional sound changes on
that one--Michael? Dennis?  (BTW, I recommend Don Lance's last article, in
Am Spch, on similar theories of hypercorrection in the
'sody/Marthy/Missouri' change to final schwa.)