De Camptown Races

Daniel Partner dpmstrel at BAYAREA.NET
Wed Nov 12 01:15:30 UTC 2003

My understanding is that in those days a camptown was a place outside of a town
where vagrants lived -- like a hooverville of the depression or a homeless
encampment today. Maybe the American Dialect Society folks can confirm this.

With that understanding of the word the song is all the more humorous. A
mid-nineteenth century audience would find the idea of a horserace in such a
place to be very funny (also that there would be ladies there is ridiculous).

The urban audiences of the early minstrels would know about camptowns, whereas
they would not know of tiny Camptown, Pennsylvania. This is not to say that
Foster did not remember the Camptown of his school days. So maybe for him there
was a double meaning.

It certainly is interesting that there was a horse race in Camptown, PA,
epecially since the race track was five miles long. The first two lines of the
song reads: "De Camptown ladies sing dis song, doo-dah! doo-dah! De Camptown
racetrack five miles long, Oh! doo-dah day." The length of the track is
mentioned again in the fourth verse: "See dem flyin' on a ten mile heat,
doo-dah! doo-dah! Round de race track, den repeat, Oh! doo-dah day!"

Also, the original sheet music has Camptown capitalized -- an actual place and
not a generic camptown. -- Daniel

Quoting Duane Campbell <dcamp911 at juno.com>:

~