Early G-string

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Nov 12 17:59:19 UTC 2003

        Not, strictly speaking, an antedating, although I believe it is the earliest known use of g-string with this spelling (there's an 1878 citation using geestring).  This is from Making of America; the full cite is Mary E. Meline, "Into the Silent Land," Catholic World, vol. 35, no. 210 (Sept. 1882), pp. 775 - 85, at p. 781:

        >>The blanket of the male Indian covers a multitude of sins of omission as to toilet.  Their dress mainly consists of three articles - moccasins, a G-string, and the before-mentioned blanket.  The G-string is a strip of flannel fastened before and behind to a string or belt around their waists, the ends of the strip hanging almost to their feet before and often trailing on the ground behind.<<

        The article is an account of Catholic missionary work in the Indian Territory (present-day Oklahoma) and refers to Kiowas, Comanches, and Apaches.

John Baker