rocks and stones

James Stalker stalker at MSU.EDU
Tue Nov 18 21:37:52 UTC 2003

Arthur Norman in "A Southwest Texas dialect study," notes that stone
fence is Northern.  DARE, according to Carver, puts rock fence is the
Midland area.  Perhaps Dolly was doing her native dialect when she did
rocks and has shifted to stones to accommodate the proverb, or because
somebody told her rocks is wrong.

Jim Stalker