words of the year

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Sat Nov 22 19:35:29 UTC 2003

References to putting troops "on the ground" go back at least as far
the early days of air warfare -- when I was looking at this a while
ago, I found a cite from a 1948 article in Military Affairs, and it
would probably be easy to find antedates from the mid-1930's, when
the coordination of air and ground operations was first being
discussed. The shift from that use of "on the ground" to a use to
describe a source close to the field of operations seems pretty
straightforward -- my bet is that it will show up in the military
language of WWII.

Geoff Nunberg