words of the year

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Sat Nov 22 21:12:06 UTC 2003

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Dave Wilton <dave at WILTON.NET>
>Subject:      Re: words of the year

It's literal, though there's an idiomatic or specialized character to
this use of "ground" (i.e., as opposed to air). The OED gives 'ground
attack' from 1917. It gives 'ground troops" from 1941 but the NYT has
this in a 1918 article about Billy Mitchell.

The German army immediately grasped this new weapon [i.e., Russia's
demonstration in 1936 of the mass tactical deployment of parachute
units] and exended its scope, utilizing gliders... as well as
parachutes and landed-transports for placing troops on the ground.

"Past Airborne Employment," by James A. Bassett. Military Affairs,
Vol. 12, No.4. (Winter, 1948)

Geoff Nunberg