Request: Best Ideas Column

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Nov 24 21:00:59 UTC 2003

At 11:54 AM -0800 11/24/03, Dave Wilton wrote:
>Quoting "Kathleen E. Miller" <millerk at NYTIMES.COM>:
>
>>  Hello All,
>>
>>  The editors at 43rd street are harping Safire to write to theme for the
>>  next deadline. It is the annual best ideas column outlining the best
>>  inventions of 2003. So we're looking for words - new and useful - that were
>>  coined etc. this year to write a little piece "to theme." Any ideas?
>>

>>  Kathleen E. Miller
>>  Research Assistant to William Safire
>>  The New York Times
>>

>It's tough to get ones coined in 2003. You generally don't notice new words
>until they've been around for a while. "Taikonaut" is a good one, it's been
>around since 2000 at least.

Well, "Playlistism" (as detailed in my posting a few days ago)
appears to be new as of this month, and "Governator" is almost
new--there was one Nexis hit from 2002 (pre-dating the Gray Davis
recall, when there was speculation about whether Schwarzenegger would
run in the next scheduled election), but all the others are 2003 for
obvious reasons.

larry