Languages of Tobago (2002) & UWI bookstore, library

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Nov 25 00:34:47 UTC 2003

THE LANGUAGE OF TOBAGO:
GENESIS, STRUCTURE AND PERSPECTIVES
by Winford James and Vlerie Youssef
St. Augustine: The University of the West Indies, School of Continuing Studies
236 pages, paperback
2002

   From the back cover:  "The publication of this book _fills a significant gap in our knowledge of Tobagonian language and culture_, one of the most neglected areas of Caribbean Creole studies. (...) Donald Winford, Professor of Linguistics, The Ohio State University."
    I'll sell this copy to the first person, if you can't get it elsewhere.  It's clearly the best and the most recent work in the linguistics of this place.
    Other books found in the bookstore:

LMH OFFICIAL DICTIONARY OF POPULAR JAMAICAN PHRASES (2002)
THE PRACTICE OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHING by Jeremy Harmer (Longman, 3rd ed., 2001)
WRITING IN ENGLISH: A COURSE BOOK FOR CARIBBEAN STUDENTS (Ian Randle Publishers, 1997)
LANGUAGE AND GENDER: A READER (Blackwell, 1998)
LANGUAGE IN EXILE: THREE HUNDRED YEARS OF JAMAICAN CREOLE (Alabama)
LINGUISTICS: AN INTRODUCTION by Andrew Rodford, et al. (Cambridge Univ. Press, 1999)
LANGUAGE FILES (8th ed., Dept. of Linguistics, The Ohio State University)
AN INTRODUCTION TO PHONOLOGY by Francis Katamba (Longman, 1989)
PROJECTS IN LINGUISTICS by Alison Wray, et al. (Arnold, 1998)
A COURSE IN PHONETICS by Peter Ladefogel (Heinle & Heinle, 3rd ed. 2001)
ENCYCLOPEDIA OF LANGUAGE by David Crystal (Cambridge Univ. Press)
DICTIONARY OF JAMAICAN ENGLISH by Cassidy & LaPage

   Some books (not in NYPL?) in UWI's West Indiana Collection:

MACAFOUCHETTE: A LOOK AT THE INFLUENCE OF FRENCH ON THE DIALECT OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO by Patricia A. N. Ryan (1985)

A FESTIVAL OF GUYANESE WORDS (2nd ed., 1978)

ALLIOUAGUNA FOLK by I. A. George Irish (1985)

WOTCHA SAY: AN INTRODUCTION TO COLOQUIAL CAYMANIAN by Barona Booker Kohlmar (1980?)

THE OFFICIAL DANCEHALL DICTIONARY: A GUIDE TO JAMAICAN DIALECT AND DANCEHALL SLANG by Chester Francis-Jackson (1995)

CHAT JAMAICAN by J. J. Thomas (1982)

NOTES FOR A GLOSSARY OF WORDS AND PHRASES OF BARBADIAN DIALECT by Frank A. Collymore (1955, sixth edition 1992)

WHAT A PISTARCKLE!: A DICTIONARY OF VIRGIN ISLANDS ENGLISH CREOLE by Lito Valls (1981)

   I have lots of notes on from the above, but I'll end with this book, that's likely to be overlooked:

THE ISLAND OF TOBAGO (BRITISH WEST INDIES)
by Commander C. E. R. Alford
Dorchester, England: Longmans Ltd.
1949

Pg. 122:  _Some Common Trinidad and Tobago Terms_ (Selected--ed.)
LOCAL                     ENGLISH
Breakfast...Midday meal.
"Man"...Introductory exclamation.  May be used to a female.
Sliders...Underpants, drawers.
Pg. 123:
To ve vex with...To be cross with.
Lard...Coconut-fat.
Fig...Banana.
Banana...Indian Plantain.
Plantain...Only used when cooked (as vegetable) looks the same as an Indian plantain.
Pear...Avocado.
Ground Provisions...Root vegetables.
Jumbie...A spirit, spook.
Jumbie-man or Obeahman...Witch doctor.
Bunga-Bunga...A wake (lasts nine days after death).
A bus up--Quarrel.

(Bust-Up-Shut is a food item here...I didn't check Roti prices and everything is closed tomorrow...Remind me to check "Black Forest Cake" in ProQuest's LOS ANGELES TIMES.  That was sold at the Kiss Baking Company also--ed.)