Melvyn Bragg book

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Wed Nov 26 14:59:09 UTC 2003

I wrote an article on "skedaddle" in the first or second volume of my _Studies in Slang_ (I'm presently away from my books.) There's also an article on "hunky dory" in one of the _Studies in Slang_ volumes (which one: ?).

  "Skedaddle" (= spill) most likely did exist in British English in the early 19th century, but there's no evidence that it was used in the U.S.

    If Melvyn Bragg believes that Davy Crockett said "skedaddle" or "hunky dory," where's the evidence?

Gerald Cohen