Tipping point

Kathleen E. Miller millerk at NYTIMES.COM
Wed Oct 1 14:56:39 UTC 2003

At 07:43 AM 10/1/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Quoting Grant Barrett <gbarrett at WORLDNEWYORK.ORG>:
>
> > It was popularized by Malcolm Gladwell who wrote an article for the New
> > Yorker in 1996 on the subject, then a successful book.
>
> > On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 09:10 AM, James A. Landau wrote:
> >
> > > Has anyone run across the phrase "tipping point".  I don't recall
> > > having
> > > heard it before, then in the past week I saw it twice on-line.
>
>Gladwell didn't coin the phrase.
>
>The following appears on Usenet, soc.culture.indian, 23 Oct 1992:
>
>"Another view suggests that a tipping point in discrimination occurs when
>minorites evidence successes as this is perceived to be threatening to the
>host
>society."
>
>I'm a bit surprised it is this late. The metaphor is fairly obvious and basic.
>
>--
>Dave Wilton
>dave at wilton.net
>http://www.wilton.net/dave.htm

It's not. Here's the article Safire did on it based on my research and
interviews. I was able to get it back to 1957.

THE WAY WE LIVE NOW: 7-27-03: ON LANGUAGE; Tipping
By William Safire
'I do think the concept of a tipping point is correct,'' Defense Secretary
Donald H. Rumsfeld said on April 7, when asked about his frequent use of
that phrase about public opinion in Iraq. ''And at some point, the
aggregation of all those individual tipping points having been reached, it
will be, in effect, the country will have tipped.''
With the unforgettable live television coverage of a symbolic event in
Firdos Square in Baghdad, the two words were on many media lips in the
following weeks. ''Like the giant statue of Saddam Hussein that slowly
tumbled to the ground in central Baghdad yesterday,'' wrote Paul Ignatius
in The Washington Post, ''the war in Iraq has been determined by a series
of tipping points that mean the collapse of the regime.''

Then came the deluge of usages of that phrase in other contexts. ''School
System at 'Tipping Point''' headlined The Financial Times. ''America has
hit a tipping point in which fair-minded people now support equality,''
said a Freedom to Marry advocate after the Supreme Court decision striking
down sodomy laws. In a Times Magazine article about offbeat names being
given today's babies, Peggy Orenstein wrote, ''The tipping point came when
Christie Brinkley, who is very visible, named her daughter Sailor because
she and her husband liked to sail.'' (Coming soon for girls: Jade, Chloe,
Destiny. For boys: Caleb, Liam, Tristan. Unfortunately for that last little
fellow, girls are not predicted to be named Isolde. Now back to today's
subject.)
The phrase that has become the overpowering cliché of the year was first
popularized by Malcolm Gladwell in an influential 1996 article in The New
Yorker, and in a subsequent best-selling book with that title. Subtitled
''How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference,'' Gladwell deals with the
way some ideas slowly spread and then suddenly take off. The New Yorker
staff writer took the trope from epidemiology, the study of epidemics:
''The tipping point is that moment in an epidemic when a virus reaches
critical mass, the moment on the graph when the line starts to shoot
straight upwards.''
''AIDS tipped in 1982,'' Gladwell told his Web site, ''when it went from a
rare disease affecting a few gay men to a worldwide epidemic. Crime in New
York City tipped in the mid 1990's, when the murder rate suddenly
plummeted. When I heard that phrase for the first time, I remember
thinking: Wow. What if everything has a tipping point? Wouldn't it be cool
to try and look for tipping points in business, in social policy or in
advertising or in any number of nonmedical areas?'' (The writer's subtitle
for his 1996 article was bottomed on the medical figure of speech: ''Why is
the city suddenly so much safer -- could it be that crime really is an
epidemic?'') This led sales-chartists to the related term, viral marketing.
Like a low-level flu, the phrase had been kicking around for years. In an
endnote, Gladwell referenced a 1978 book by a University of Maryland
professor of public affairs, Thomas Schelling, ''Micro Motives and Macro
Behavior.'' Professor Schelling tells me that ''the first thing I published
on tipping'' was in a chapter of a 1972 book on neighborhood racial
segregation, and he directed me to an October 1957 article on that subject
in Scientific American, by Morton Grodzins, a University of Chicago
political-science professor.
''White residents, who will tolerate a few Negroes as neighbors, either
willingly or unwillingly,'' Grodzins wrote nearly a half-century ago,
''begin to move out when the proportion of Negroes in the neighborhood or
apartment building passes a certain critical point. This 'tip point' varies
from city to city. Once it is exceeded, they will no longer stay among
Negro neighbors.''
Homer Bigart, the legendary New York Herald Tribune war correspondent and
later New York Times reporter, picked up the phrase in that context in a
1959 article on racial tension in Virginia. Bigart quoted the educator
Robert Williams: ''Exactly when the tipping point of white acceptance will
be reached will depend upon the attitude of the individual white parent and
upon the general white community attitude.''
Says Schelling: ''The phenomenon was originally discussed in relation to
residential patterns. I generalized it to many kinds of behavior in that
1978 book.'' Gladwell then popularized and further generalized the concept,
and the warrior Rumsfeld applied it to public opinion in Iraq, thereby
carrying it into every home and hearth.
But it is now a tired, worn-out cliché, to be avoided by fresh thinkers
like the plague. (Though avoided like the plague is also a bromide, its
connection to epidemiology makes it apt in this case.)
The predecessor phrase, critical mass, though dated, is still usable.
Nuclear physicists, who took the term, coined in 1940 by Prof. Margaret
Gowing of Oxford University, to mean ''the minimum mass of fissile material
required to sustain a chain reaction,'' still pout when lay writers extend
its meaning to ''anything large enough to achieve the desired result.'' The
metaphor is dramatic -- there's a mushroom cloud somewhere in the
background -- but it has been in active use too long.
Pointillists will look at boiling point, but that does not suggest radical
change. Focal point is about convergence, not transformation. Turning
point? Not a lot of bezazz, and it does not express the idea of the straw
that breaks the camel's back or the little extra quantity that causes
systemic shift, but it makes the point of the moment of new direction and
is probably the father of tipping point.
The difficulty in finding a forceful, colorful synonym demonstrates how the
Grodzins coinage met a semantic need. But disdainers of cliché must ask
ourselves, What is it that the overuse of tipping point has reached?
Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company