Fight/Hockey Game (1978, Toronto Star credits Dangerfield)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Oct 1 22:17:46 UTC 2003

   Sorry for that last ADS-L post; I thought it was a personal e-mail.
   I still have some time on my Toronto Star "Pages of the Past"
subscription, so I thought that I'd check this classic hockey phrase.  (See ADS-L archives
for Washington Post and New York Times citations just slightly later.)

   27 September 1978, TORONTO STAR, pg C1, col. 4:
   There are several ways hockey serves as entertainment on the tube.  There
are the fights, or as comedian Rodney Dangerfield says, "I went to a fight
last night and a hockey game broke out."

   30 December 1978, TORONTO STAR,  pg. B1, col. 4 (Year-end sports
round-up):
   _Quote:_  "I went to a fight the other night," said Rodney Dangerfield,
"and a hockey game broke out."

   27 February 1979, TORONTO STAR, pg. A9, col. 7 (letters):
   As one disillusioned writer said of an NHL game: "I went to a boxing match
and a hockey game broke out."

   12 March 1979, TORONTO STAR, pg. B1, col. 3:
   Comedian Rodney Dangerfield's one-liner "I went to a fight last night and
a hockey game broke out" became reality during a tasteless National Hockey
League match last night.