"Hokey Pokey" Originator Dead (1907)

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Oct 5 02:46:00 UTC 2003

>>(1) When was Sam born?
>
>According to the ref: 1877.

I think this is erroneous. The quotation reports his death as an "aged
citizen" in 1907, right?

>The Italian ice-cream vendor references pre-date 1877.

Can one pre-1877 citation be provided?

>>(2) Can the term "hokey-pokey" for ice cream or so be found before about
>>1880?
>
>"hokey-pokey" wasn't a reference to ice cream, but was a reference to
>the Italian ice-cream peddlars.

OED shows "hokey-pokey" referring to ice cream (1884-5). I find "hokey
pokey man" in the desired sense from late 19th century but I take this as
approximately "ice cream man", with "hokey pokey" = "ice cream
[product/novelty/item]".

No reason "ecco un poco" or so couldn't be the origin ... of course altered
to "hokey-pokey" to match the pre-existing English phrase, = "hocus-pocus"
apparently. Evidence is lacking though AFAIK.

But again: is there evidence of use of the expression for ice cream OR
vendor before 1880 or so? [Maybe there is, I don't know. Current OED for
example is not available to hoi polloi. (^_^)]

-- Doug Wilson