The "Ten Thousand Dollar Beauty"-the final chapter-part 2

Sam Clements sclements at NEO.RR.COM
Wed Oct 8 03:22:04 UTC 2003

I apologize to ADS-L members for so many posts.  I'll try to avoid this
behavior in the future.

George,

I found an earlier cite, from August 29, 1881.  It comes from the
Atchison(KS) Globe, p. ?, column 3:

          Forepaugh's ten thousand dollar beauty is on speaking terms with
the candy butcher, the lemonade assassin, and the peanut scoundrel, and the
three fight regularly every day about it.  It is perhaps unnesessary to add
that the beauty is a great fraud, and that hundreds of prettier girls visit
the show every day.

(Wowzer!  Everyone's a critic).