Syntactic blending: bunker down

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sat Oct 11 02:33:41 UTC 2003

"Bunker down" is not a blend. It's merely "hunker down" with the
intrusion of "bunker" (based both on phonetic similarity and the idea
of hunkering down in a bunker.

>How can you test hypotheses about syntactic blending?  They are
>common in bureaucratic/business speech and writing, but
>investigation is a delicate matter.

Syntactic blending is not really a feature of bureaucratic/business
speech and writing, although it may occasionally creep in there, as
it does elsewhere in everyday speech.  As for investigation, this is
really a straightforward matter.
If an unusual construction is patently composed of two at least
roughly synonymous parts, it's a blend. (End of investigation).

   For example, I once told my wife: "I tried to reach you, but the
line was off the hook." As soon as I said it, I realized it was a
blend. One of my students was in my office when I said that, and when
I finished the conversation with my wife, he looked at me and said:
"You know, that was a blend." (I had talked about blends earlier in
the semester.

   This particular blend was, of course: "The line was busy" + "The
"phone was off the hook."

   There are loads of examples.

Gerald Cohen