Filipino cuisine (1929); Horse Opera (1923); Ivy League (1935)

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Oct 12 03:10:42 UTC 2003

>    The menu included pansit, sarciadong manoks, trotillang hipon, adobong
> baboy, asadang baboy, all names which no Spaniard or Mexican could be
> expected to translate.  They were the Filipino names for noodles,
> Filipino style; spring chicken with sauce, shrimp omelet, pork with
> seasoned sauce and pork chops, Filipino style.

"Sarciadong" looks like "salciado", something like "salsa", likely from
Spanish although I don't know the exact formal Spanish equivalent.
"Trotillang" (misspelled, I think) = Spanish "tortilla" = "omelet".
"Adobong" = Spanish "adobo" = "marinade" or so. "Asadang" = Spanish "asada"
= "roast". So most of these terms are 'half Spanish' ... still I guess
they're untranslatable without knowing the native-Philippine parts maybe.
[Are there other Spanish adoptions in there? In my ignorance of Spanish and
Tagalog both, I can't be sure.]

-- Doug Wilson