Antedating of "Ivy Leaguer"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Oct 12 06:03:49 UTC 2003

In a message dated 10/11/2003 11:55:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU writes:

> Ivy Leaguer (OED 1943)
>
> 1937 _L.A. Times_ 26 June A13  Perhaps we'll be able to persuade those Ivy
> Leaguers of the East to assemble a team representing their section one of
> these days.

   22 November 1935, CHARLESTON DAILY MAIL (Charleston, West Virginia), pg.9,
col. 2:
   NEW YORK, Nov. 22 (AP).--Not without a wistful wonder where the lightning
will strike next, the football guesser comes out of the weekly huddle with the
following results.
   Princeton-Dartmouth:  A couple of undefeated and untied "ivy leaguers" get
together.