Contractions: gonna, wanna, tryinna

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Tue Oct 14 14:43:09 UTC 2003

"Tryinna" seems very normal to me, as long as an infinitive follows the
contracted 'to'.  Otherwise, I'd expect the full "trying to" with implied
infinitive, as in your "going to" example.  I've also heard "wanu"; in
fact, I think (with fuzzy memory) it may have been the more common
contraction when I was younger.  But this is just impressionistic.  BTW,
was it really a schwa in the first syllable, or [a]?