Correction of OED/HDAS Dating of "Movie"

Sam Clements sclements at NEO.RR.COM
Thu Oct 16 01:35:05 UTC 2003

In support of Fred's arguments against a 1902 date for "movie," I used
ancestry.com tonight to search for "Murine/movie."  There WAS a hit in a
Wisconsin paper from 1915.  It, indeed, said "After the movies, Murine your
eyes."  But there was NO such ad from 1902-1914.

Murine, as a product appears in 1904.  It may appear earlier, but I didn't
check before 1902.  But I  DID spot check Murine from 1902-1914.  I read
perhaps 50-70 ads.  There were probably 100-200 ads.  There was no "movie"
there.  They seem to have started that ad campaign in 1915.  I might be off
by a year or so, if checking each hit was important.  But there were few ads
in the 1904-1908 period.  The ads increased in the 1910-1915 period.  And,
since it appears that it was a Chicago product, the ads mostly appeared in
the Wisconsin/Iowa papers.

I think Fred nailed this one.

SC

I also searched for "Murine."