Muleociation

Yerkes, Susan SYerkes at EXPRESS-NEWS.NET
Thu Oct 16 22:35:45 UTC 2003

Dear John:

Sorry, but is this a joke?

>From a non-technical point of view, seems apparent to me that the student is
using the word "mule" as a questionably punny
substitute for the word "ass" which still is enough to raise some folks'
hackles (believe me, some publications still get worked up about this sort
of thing), so I gather he or she is simply carrying the no-ass dictum to
extremes.

I once had an editor who wouldn't let me refer to a mythical country song
named "It Took A Hell of a Man to Take My Ann, But It Sure Didn't Take Him
Long" on the basis of his impression that the "Take" in the title referred
to the Biblical sense of "take" as "sexually possess." More importantly, I
suppose, he was worried that the readers of the metropolis of San Antonio
Texas would assume that meaning -- and furthermore, that they would care.

Perhaps I'm too simplistic, but FWIW.
Susan Yerkes