Muleociation

Yerkes, Susan SYerkes at EXPRESS-NEWS.NET
Thu Oct 16 23:12:43 UTC 2003

Gotcha. It is really puzzling when somebody puts what seems like a very
silly word joke and sticks it someplace that not even a pun is apt (As in,
perhaps, "in some parts of the country, the Democrat party is often
muleociated with the common ass."

-----Original Message-----
From: John McChesney-Young [mailto:panis at PACBELL.NET]
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2003 6:09 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Muleociation

"Yerkes, Susan" <SYerkes at EXPRESS-NEWS.NET> asked:

>Sorry, but is this a joke?

In embarrassment at my naivete I confess it was not. I can only observe that
the original inquirer and her colleagues were also taken in, if that's the
appropriate phrase for our common state of innocence.

>>From a non-technical point of view, seems apparent to me that the
>student is using the word "mule" as a questionably punny substitute for
>the word "ass"

Thanks to a few people who've responded here and on the Latinteach list I
now understand. It's comparable to (e.g.) "woperson" for "woman," something
I suspect has not seen any use other than jocular
- although I wouldn't be *entirely* surprised to be informed otherwise.

which still is enough to raise some folks'
>hackles (believe me, some publications still get worked up about this
>sort of thing), so I gather he or she is simply carrying the no-ass
>dictum to extremes.

I don't think it was in pursuit of a more refined style, but whether an
attempt to catch the teacher in a state of ignorance or a genuinely
unselfconscious word in the student's vocabulary or out of some other
motivation I can't guess. Even now that I understand it, I'm puzzled by its
use in a serious high school assignment and I'd still be interested in
reports of its non-colloquial use.

John
--

*** John McChesney-Young  **  panis at pacbell.net  **   Berkeley,
California, U.S.A.  ***

This e-mail message is intended only for the personal use of the recipient(s) named above. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the San Antonio Express-News Help Desk (helpdesk at express-news.net) immediately by e-mail and delete the original message.