Antedating of Hero(1939) Sandwich

Sam Clements sclements at NEO.RR.COM
Fri Oct 17 00:55:37 UTC 2003

I don't want to steal any of Barry's thunder, but his recent diatribe
against the NYT shafting him once again, got me searching.

Ancestry.com, from The Charleston(WV) Daily Mail, June 23, 1939,  page
5/column 4:

     Tastiest tidbits on the Island are toasted rolls and bacon at Child's,
the clams and shrimp cocktails at the Clam Bar, the honey buns at Hirsch's,
the shashlik, fried shrimp, fried clams and chow mein on the boardwalk, the
sunshine cocktail and shore dinner at Scoville's, the Hero Sandwich (a loaf
of Italian bread with ham and Swiss, American or Bel Paese cheese), and, of
course the hot corn and frankfurters all along the route.

I have no doubt that Barry has searched ancestry for this, but the damn
search engine requires skill, art, luck, and.......most of all luck.

SC