Muleociation

Yerkes, Susan SYerkes at EXPRESS-NEWS.NET
Fri Oct 17 20:49:26 UTC 2003

Dear Arnold:
I nominate mulemuleinated as the Republican word of the year.
It's so.... Succinct.

-----Original Message-----
From: Arnold M. Zwicky [mailto:zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2003 6:10 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Muleociation

On Thursday, October 16, 2003, at 03:35 PM, Yerkes, Susan wrote, replying to
john mcchesney-young's forwarding of a query about "muleociation" in a high
school student's writing:

> Sorry, but is this a joke?

there is the "heaveno" for "hello" business, so someone involved could have
meant this sort of seriously.  but it looks like a jocular coining to me; i
hear adolescent giggling.  of course, once coined, a word can spread in many
ways, and its origins can be lost.

> From a non-technical point of view, seems apparent to me that the
> student is using the word "mule" as a questionably punny
> substitute for the word "ass" which still is enough to raise some
> folks'
> hackles (believe me, some publications still get worked up about this
> sort
> of thing), so I gather he or she is simply carrying the no-ass dictum
> extremes.

i think the person who thought this up should be mulemuleinated.

from the teacher:

> I am at a loss, because I can find no muleociation
> between this word and any Latin or Greek roots.
> Perhaps this just sprung full-grown from my student's
> head.

well, from *some* body part.

john:

> Searches for assorted forms of the word ("muleociate," "muleociated,"
> etc.) at the search engine Dogpile turn up just a handful of uses in
> three
> places: a discussion forum for players of the Xbox game system, and a
> couple of others for developers of the open source version of
> Netscape's browser,
> Mozilla.
>
> Here are two examples where it apparently means "association":
>
> http://forum.teamxbox.com/
> showthread.php?s=fe88131c6c8d084291e2bef1061dad71&
> threadid=201892&highlight=muleociation
>
> Also on Ubi-Soft's on site the Xbox logo is nowhere to be found in
> muleociation with Far Cry.
>
> [and]
>
> http://www.mozdev.org/mailarchives/reviewers/2002-December/000890.html
>
> \"The first thing you have to do to build a custom view is instantiate
> your tree and then muleociate a view object with it, commonly known as
> a view.
>
> (end quote)
>
> Teoma also reports a use at the Teambox.com domain in this phrase,
> "Proud member of the Correct Grammar muleociation," but it appears to
> be a signature file which is no longer in use.

if you *really* want to pursue the matter, you could ask the writers of
these passages where they got the word and what they think they were
conveying by using it.  of course, they might not be willing to give you any
muleistance.

arnold

This e-mail message is intended only for the personal use of the recipient(s) named above. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the San Antonio Express-News Help Desk (helpdesk at express-news.net) immediately by e-mail and delete the original message.