Seven ways from Sunday (1920)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Oct 19 01:34:25 UTC 2003

   More ways than one.

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES ONLINE)
      Pete's Close Shave
       By Arthur L. Dahl.       Overland Monthly and Out West Magazine (1868-1935).       San Francisco: Nov 1920.       Vol. LXXVI, Iss. No 5.;             p. 70 (3 pages):
Pg. 71:  "Now, you spavin-legged, chicken-livered cur, you listen to me.  You think you're a butcher, do you, and everybody's your meat, do you?  You're not; you're a contemptible, cowardly barber, that's what you are, and you're going to give me the cleanest shave I ever had, or I'll lick you seven ways from Sunday.  Here's the razor.  It's too sharp to pull, so get busy," and the cook seated himself fearlessly on the chair he had provided.

(PROQUEST--LOS ANGELES TIMES)
      CLASHES MARK RAIL HEARINGS.
              Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File).       Los Angeles, Calif.: Mar 10, 1922.                   p. I7 (1 page):
   "As for propaganda, you can beat the railways seven ways from Sunday on spreading propaganda."

      FIRPO DIRECTED BY CABLEGRAM
       HARRY NEWMAN.       Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File).       Los Angeles, Calif.: Aug 29, 1923.                   p. III1 (1 page) :
   Horatio Lavalle, imported from the Argentine to succeed Jimmy Deforest as handler-in-chief of the young giant who hopes to knock Jack Dempsey seven ways from Sunday at the  Polo Grounds on September 14, steps out every day when Firpo starts his workout and keeps a detailed record on everything Luis does.

      Along El Camino Real With Ed-Ainsworth
              Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File).       Los Angeles, Calif.: Aug 28, 1936.                   p. 10 (1 page):
   It has the other ones skinned seven ways from Sunday.

(PROQUEST--CHRISTIAN SCIENCE MONITOR)
      Wilson Pins Resignation On By-Passing by Truman
              Christian Science Monitor  (1908-Current file).       Boston, Mass.: Apr 28, 1952.                   p. 16 (1 page):
   Charles  E. WIlson says he resigned as national defense mobilization director in March because he was by-passed "nine ways from Sunday" in wage-price negotiations and embarrassed by a sudden switch of presidential decisions in the steel dispute.